Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Julio the Spanish Teacher

I am so incredibly proud of my husband! Ever since we moved to the States, Julio has been working, studying, and engaging in this new culture in such a way that puts me to shame. He has such determination and is not scared off by big challenges or new situations.

For the past year, he has been working as a Spanish teacher with Berlitz language institute. He has thoroughly enjoyed working with students from all different backgrounds and learning more about language acquisition and teaching methods. During the past month, he has been asked to teach in two very different settings, both of which provide their own challenges and rewards.

Julio is now teaching Spanish to children in grades 3-5, during an after school program in a northern suburb, once a week. He has seven students who keep him busy and thinking of creative ways to teach the Spanish language. As well as working with these elementary school kids, Julio is working with another group of students, graduate students at Northwestern University. From children...to graduate students, what an experience! Both require such different teaching styles and strategies. He is thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with both!

As I've said before, I am in awe of all that my husband does and the attitude with which he does it. I am so blessed!

No comments: